What are y'all up to?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What are y'all up to?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,001 through 1,020 (of 1,020 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

It’s so hot here right now. The electricity in our sleeping house went out a couple days ago, so we had a rather dark evening and fixed it in the morning (unpleasant, I don’t like mornings)

I’ve been playing old ebenezer scrooge on mandolin rather incessantly, it’s a fun tune

cricketcricket
    Participant

You have a sleeping house?

Back on the old family farm there used to be a cookhouse…lol…I always thought that was funny when I was growing up.

I hear ya on mornings…necessary hard manual labor ain’t no fun in the morning. I always used to try to get all the wood split and ready the night before, just so I could wake up and have peaceful coffee in the morning…lol.  Can’t stand to wake up and have to do some necessary thing…lol.  That just hurts.

Hope it’s all better now.  And…what’s up with a sleeping house?

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ok, so we didn’t build our houses, a Swedish alliance missionary did, and he built two at right angles to each other, with the idea that they could house two families. But then we bought the property, and use both. They’re fairly small houses, and one has a bathroom and four bedrooms (the sleeping house) and the other had a kitchen, a pantry, and a living/dining room (the eating house) we since added another room to the eating house, and a bathroom (long overdue).

It’s always confusing to people ??

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

This morning, the 15th of November, my wife and I drove from Searcy, Arkansas down to Conway, Arkansas to see a wonderful sight that we will obviously never ever see again. The last running “Big Boy” steam engine in perfect running condition passing through town on a trip scheduled to take it through several states including Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado. Here’s the lowdown on the historic event. We were so glad to witness a small part of it. 🙂 https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

Fred,

Back in the late 70’s, I was working by myself out on open rangeland in Wyoming, near the UP tracks.  I got to see, feel, and hear a restored ‘Big Boy’ at speed and in full glory as it made a trip from Salt Lake City to Omaha.  Glad you had a chance to see it it – it is an amazing piece of old-time engineering. Joe

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Thanks, Joe. I also saw UP 4-8-8-4, 4012 in Bellows Falls, VT., before it was moved to Scranton, PA in 1983. I actually got to go up into that one. What an experience! I visited Steamtown USA in Bellows Falls when I was 16 (back in 1966) and I could swear there was a Big Boy there back then, but don’t know if it’s true.

That’s really neat that you saw one working carrying a full load. The one I saw this morning had about 15 cars it was hauling; mostly passenger cars and mail cars. One EMD SD-70 #8824 diesel was along in case of trouble I suppose.

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

Wow! Great experience.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Thanks, Jim. It sure was. I’ve been a railroad buff ever since I was a little boy. Long before I was born, my father worked his way through college as a fireman on the New York Central Rail Road. He loved steam engines throughout his entire life and took me and my brother to all kinds of train shows. He even had an HO scale model railroad in the basement for many years. 🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

Gunnar, your houses sound interesting.  I say it again: y’all do have an interesting life!

That’s so cool, Fred.  There used to be a steam engine in SE KY at the old Tombstone Junction near Cumberland Falls…they are really cool old trains.

I always did love trains too…I used to lay pennies on the track and smash them…lol.  Always said if I ever got rich one thing I would get would be a hobby train with a huge amount of track…going all through the house and outside too, winding around my miniature forests and fish ponds…lol…hey, it still could happen!  Don’t know how, but…anything’s possible.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I hope your dreams come true. I’ve seen in model railroad books where people with money and a love for trains have miniature trains around their property with real elaborate layouts. Too cool!

Dad’s layout was in the basement but it covered the whole place. He had elaborate switching for the several yards and factories, mines, businesses and could run 4 trains independently. I misspoke on the frame above….it was an “N” scale, not “HO”. 🙂

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

You guys are all incredibly interesting, I think I’ve mentioned that before. I love this thread.

We have been really busy here. On the BGD side of things, I just added a tutorial on the middle break of Seminole Wind, and next week I plan to have up a lesson for Michael Cleveland’s “Blue Violet Waltz” at the request of Steve Srader. It will be a good one!

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

I enjoy this thread also.

Not much going on here.

Been kinda down this week…snowed on top of the leaves before I could get them up, haven’t felt like playing much, lots of stupid Dr. stuff going on.

Caught a few minutes of Billy Strings streaming tonight…I felt like a dog watching a TV…couple minutes was more than enough for me, but more power to him for doing his own thing and making it work.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Billy Strings?  What does he do?  Guess I’ll have to look for that.  I hope Dr. stuff ain’t bad stuff…well, it’s sure not fun stuff.

John, I can only imagine how busy you stay and wonder how you keep up.

We’ve sorta been on hold waiting for things to come back to some sort of normalcy around here.  It’s been weird that we haven’t done big work, although we were scared we’d have to run down to TN if their pipes froze, but thankfully that didn’t happen…I absolutely hate to drive, especially that far.  We see people mainly when they want hard work done…lol…so, don’t see anybody now.  I’ve got a small portion of a hydroponic indoor garden going but haven’t given it much attention.  That’s it.  Kinda quiet and boring around here…cold too.  I sure do wish having a woodstove…haven’t been warm since.  Kinda waiting to see if my daughter’s big youtube idea ever gets going…she’ll have some music chores for me to get to then…but her computers are both down, so…might be a while.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Often I think of Cricket’s husband, Mike; and Steve’s brother, Mike; and Gunnar’s dad; and hope the best for them. Now I’m thinking of you, Dave and hoping the best for you, too. I wish y’all the best.

Participant

John,

Excellent choice. Blue violet waltz- gotta be in my top 5 favorite waltzes.  I already have my version I worked up a while back so I can’t wait to see  how yours sounds and “borrow” lol a few parts here and there.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I’ll be teaching the two Michael Cleveland breaks, with all those sweet double-stops. It will be a good practice tune!

Participant

John,

Hard to beat that for sure. Just a suggestion but since your doing Michael Cleveland you might have to add his or Chubby W -Lee Highway blues to your list for down the road. Just a bug in your ear.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Dave we are at the age where nothing is like it used to be , I have personally slowed down , getting up and down is harder , going to the bathroom never , quite works like it should, My arms aren’t long enough to read normal without reading glass’s , My hearing sucks , without hearing aids , I don’t hear high pitched sounds , like kids and soft spoken women , which is not necessarily  a bad thing  , Ha My perception of things around me is pretty much the same as long as I do not look in the merrow and see that old guy looking back , I hope you get it all together , I like hearing you play and teach , I have learned from you , and ever so often I can remember , Ha ! I am behind on My firewood this year I still have trees down I keep putting off till tomorrow .

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

BGD John I can’t wait to hear that beautiful tune ! Fred I think about You and Dave and Cricket and everyone affiliated too ! this page goes back to the front page as soon as I post , So it’s not just when you come to visit this page !

cricketcricket
    Participant

Everybody hang on though…a Michael Cleveland break is comin’ our way!!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1,001 through 1,020 (of 1,020 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.