What are y'all up to?

Viewing 20 posts - 321 through 340 (of 1,020 total)
  • Author
    cricketcricket
    Participant

Wow…how cool.  I always wanted to know how to build instruments.  I think it must be such a fulfilling thing, to watch musical instruments emerge from the wood.  Looks really cool.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Yes, Cricket. My friend Keith Williams is a master builder of violins for sure. His instruments can hold their own against anything I think I’ve ever played. They sound so good even when they’re just built…..I can only imagine what they’ll sound like after they age for a few decades or so.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Guys, I’ve been just so tired of waiting for spring planting around here this year, that I finally started messin’ with hydroponics.  I always wanted to grow stuff hydroponically, inside during winter months…but it always seemed to be everything I can’t manage: expensive, needing bunches of space, needing bunches of light, complicated and time-consuming, etc.  So I just never did.  Then I found out about a method called the Kratky method of hydroponics…cheap, simple…you can do it inside or outside…not complicated at all…flexible enough to allow for lots of experimentation, etc.  I read some and then learned the most when I discovered a youtube channel of a guy named Mike VanDuzee…who Kratky’s up a storm all over his place and comes up with all kinds of creative ways to do it.  Mike, my Mike, watched his video on turning a downspout into a hydroponic planter and we rigged up a small system for me to try out late in February I think it was.  Well, I got some seeds started, got my hydroponic nutrients in there (as I also learned to do from VanDuzee’s youtubes) and started my first experiment…we have little light in our house and I just used 6500k LED shop lights to go with one of our few se facing windows…and it was gloomy all but a few days since I set these up…so…I’m very pleased. I plan to set up tons of these outside this summer…hoping to grow a lot more in our small outdoor space than we’ve usually been able to do…and I plan to set up several shelves of these next winter, and just never stop the incoming fresh greens…summertime I’ll venture out into fruiting things with this idea…squashes, tomatoes, etc., but for winter I might just stick with various greens that don’t have to put too much effort into fruiting, etc.  I’ll see…with more experience I might change my mind on some of these ideas.  For now, have a look at my little bok choy, lacintino kales, collards, and lettuces I’ve got going.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Cricket looks like you got it going you’ll probably have less bug problems this way !

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well I hope so…of course they can crawl inside if they really want to…just don’t anybody tell ’em what I’ve got going on inside!  I do plan to do a bunch of this hydroponic stuff outside too, plus the regular gardening in the ground…the bugs are gonna love me this year…lol…but hopefully at least the boll weevil won’t be along.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

What am I up to?……………..

Since I’ve returned to Arkansas, I’ve played Old Country 3 hours Monday night; Bluegrass 2 hours Tuesday morning; Bluegrass 2 hours Friday morning; Bluegrass 2 hours Friday afternoon; Bluegrass/Old Country 3 hours Friday night (total of 7 hours playing on Friday); and 4 hours of Bluegrass Saturday. There’s a big Bluegrass/Old Country/Western Swing get together today (Sunday), but I have a birthday party to go to so I won’t make that jam session. Tomorrow night it’s 3 hours of Old Country and Bluegrass. Wow! I sure am having a good time!

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Wow, lucky hard working you!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Go Fred, Go!  You’re not wasting any time, for sure!

rodgerrodger
    Participant

Cricket, why is it better to just use water, couldn’t you add some soil in those containers to help out?   I never read up on hydroponics.  Up here, now you can buy what they call ‘living lettuce’ in the grocery stores.  I don’t know if it’s grown hydroponic, but instead of cutting it, they sell it with all the root system still attached so it stays fresh and literally still alive & living.

cricketcricket
    Participant

They sell that kind here too, Rodger…it is grown hydroponically.  The reason I’m interested in hydroponics is because I have such little space, it’s very hilly and we have constant erosion (live on a hill with a paved road…waterfalls come rushing down that road everytime it rains, and there’s no storm runoff system here because we are in the county, not in any town), we have lots of shade, etc., etc., etc.  I’m always trying to grow the most I can, but we frequently have to buy dirt (sounds silly, but we have to do it) because of the erosion… and it’s just hard to manage on this little postage stamp, shady, hillside we live on.  We have one small flat area in the front that is actually owned by the county highway, not really us…but we use it and if they ever come and claim it our porch will be demolished and our front door will be cut off by the road…lol…hope they never do that. It’s a weird little place and gardening has been nothing but challenges.  Anyway, I’ve read about hydroponics before, but I’ve only seen very complicated, expensive systems that take up a lot of space, need all kinds of pumps and oxygen and all sorts of equipment, etc., which was instantly a turn off for me.  Here lately I’ve started learning about the “Kratky” method, which is a low budge, off-grid way of growing in water.  So you don’t really want dirt in the water, because you add nutrients and with dirt in there you might get too much nutrient or algae growing or whatever else…it’s kinda micromanaged once you just go to water and nutrients.  So far I’m liking this, because in the above photo, the only expense was a 12 dollar downspout…Mike cut it into four sections, drilled five holes in each section, sealed up the edges with a heat gun…then I added water, nutrient and teeny plants…I mean, you can start them in there just as soon as they get their true leaves going.   Theoretically, under ideal conditions…like inside you house like my first ones are…you shouldn’t have to even replace the hydroponic solution for a few months, which wwould be the lifespan of certain leafy veggies…for fruiting stuff, like tomatoes or squashes or whatever, you would have to add solution a few times.  Or if you put these types of planters outside in the heat, you might have to add solution more often.  Anyway, besides the downspout, I’ve got several old jugs and coffee containers with a hole drilled inthe top and ready to go and seeds started for them too.  You can stack these containers anyway you want outside in the sumemr, so, in an existing area where i might be able to get 6-8 plants, I should be able to stack up several downspouts or have other containers placed around and possible quadruple the amount of plants in the same area, if this works like they say.  Anyway, I’m just trying it out to see if it’ll work out for us.  I’d also like to grow lots of stuff inside on shelves in the wintertime too.  The only bummer part is having to buy hyrdroponic nutrients to mix into the water…I’d rather just make them myself…lol…from???????  But they’re not expensive (just impossible to find around here so I have to order them) and once you get them, there’s enough to last a pretty long time.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Plus…I always saw that grow lights were expensive…for growing indoors…which I hope to do more of.  Well, then I read all these Kratky growers, if they’re just doing greens of one kind or another, get by with 6000k shop lights right over the plants.  I guess if you try fruiting/flowering things you might need different lights…I don’t know.  But mine were in my only sunny window in the house and since the sun hardly ever shines here all winter long, they were looking pretty leggy…then we added the shoplights and the plants suddenly filled out and got very green and happy looking. So even the lights aren’t that big an expense.  Just 6500k led shoplights.  Hopefully running them all day long won’t make our electric bill go up…lol.  But even on a sunny day, we only get 4 or 5 hours of sun coming in that window…we do get evening sun coming in another window, but that’s just no good for this sort of thing.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Cricket , I am sending you a sunshine pump with built in rainbow maker ! But you have to have Faith or you wont be able to see it when it gets there !

rodgerrodger
    Participant

That’s nice of you Steve.  Cricket will send you a truckload of veggies in return!  I just hope it doesn’t get lost with the UPS truck though.  Unless it’s right driver they might have a problem delivering it…

cricketcricket
    Participant

That’s a great gift, Steve!  Guys, I just watched Mike VanDuzee, the major youtube guy I’m learning this stuff from, on a live youtube thing answering questions, etc.  That was fun.  I’ve learned so much and just ready for growing more stuff hydroponically…I’ll send veggies when I get them…lol.  Better yet, I’ll cook all the food for our next BGD party…except Kaeleigh can make the fudge.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Oh no Cricket , there’s just one We , little problem , there’s this little fellow that calls himself Leprechaun He’s awfully upset with me , babbling something about ME’s , pot ole Gold and the rainbow part of the sunshine pump , So , He has put it just out of me reach , So due to circumstances beyond me control , I should of knowed better of trying to send this to you Cricket , So close to St Patrick’s Day and Aprils fools day , both bad times of the year with the exception of Halloween’s warlocks , ghost , witch’s, gargoyles , black cats and so forth and so on ! I am truly sad to have let you down , It is the thought that counts , Just maybe and I do mean just maybe Great Scott ! Could fix this mess I got Me-self into , until then Cricket please except me apology ?

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well all I can say, Steve…is you have a paint brush, don’t ya?  Maybe you could just make a rainbow…simple, just find a way to make those colors stick to the sky…and viola, fiddle and cello…plus voila…there’s the rainbow!

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Ha !

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well guys, a few days ago I got my rosins from Fiddlerman and today got my new carbon fiber bow.  Wow…good stuff.  I had one of the funnest things to do today…rosin up a brand new bow.  The excitment of rosining up a new bow with new rosin to boot was almost too much for me to handle…lol.  I got the gold flecked pirastro rosin…why I chose that I don’t know…just did…well I loaded up that brand new bow with that stuff and I love it, love the bow too.  I now have two nice fiber carbon Fiddlerman bows… the quality of them sure is nice.  Thanks again, John, Scott, Fiddlerman, and everyone else involved in any way.  I was gonna save the Magic Rosin for grandson Roro’s Easter egg, but couldn’t stand to wait, plus his violin class will be ending for the year soon after Easter…so I thought just give it to him early…I snuck it on their porch and then called and told him to go outside…he loves that too.  That boy is crazy about fancy rosin!  The Magic Rosin looks like really high quality too.  Good stuff.  Don’t feel I deserve it…lol…but I do appreciate it and am so happy to have these things to make music with.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Cricket , you deserve it and more ! I cant wait to hear your next master piece  with your new bow and rosin !

rodgerrodger
    Participant

Now you can play with a bow in each hand!!

Viewing 20 posts - 321 through 340 (of 1,020 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.