Diet Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Hi: I would love to lose weight but I don’t seem to have any willpower.

Let the discussion begin………………… 🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

Lol…ok.  I lost some weight, finally.  You know how…lol.  There used to be a long topic here with tons of posts…something like “Boot Camp” or something…can’t remember now.  Talking about taking steps to try to take care of themselves, etc.  Fiddlers do need such discussion.  Sorry I did that thing to your FFFFF thread with my constant babbling I tend to do.  It gets me that I used to eat more than anybody I ever saw and stayed pretty thin…but I’m suspecting I always had some degree of celiac and didn’t really digest what I was a-piggin’ out on.  When we went vegan, our diet suddenly added a lot more gluten to it, just by the nature of a plant-based diet…lots of pasta, noodles, breads (I used to always make bread and make the yeast myself too), vegan meat substitutes that were wheat based, etc.  It caught up with me and made me so sick I had a really tough time getting through the work day for a few years.  Then I quit gluten and started gaining weight for the first time ever.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by cricketcricket.
    Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Cricket/Peggy , Please Diet talk away , You know when I feed out steers or pork it’s all Corn /Grain’s ! So what’s up ?

cricketcricket
    Participant

Yeah…they are all grain fed I guess.  We used to let our cows pasture and grow hay for the winter.  This last time we had goats, living up here, we have a small yard, you know, so it didn’t take them long to eat the Virginia Creeper off the fence and the Rose of Sharon and bottom layers of box elders and stuff, so we used to get on down the hill by the creek and cut bamboo and other vegetation for them…besides hay in the winter…which we had to buy.  We gave the milk goat a small amount of commercial feed…gave them all some alfalfa cookies and sunflower seeds.  The grains do make the animals fat, so … I’ve lost weight without grains…lol…maybe they make humans too fat too.  I remember reading somewhere that the only animals truly equipped to eat and thrive on grains would be birds.  True or not, I don’t claim to know.

rodgerrodger
    Participant

Fred, we can’t get in the mood to talk dieting until you write us a fiddle song about that!!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Rodger, it’ll have to be a “Breakdown” ! lol

cricketcricket
    Participant

Starvation Breakdown in A!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Maybe this is a good place for this:  I had to make an emergency batch of pickles today…yeah, it was an emergency.  I know the last time I looked at those cucumbers they weren’t any bigger than a squirrel’s ear, and then went back there to water them today and blam…it was jsut like those viral cat videos where people shock their cats with a cucumber…I mean I jumped like a viral cat video with the shock of seeing how they’ve grown in the past few days.  To me, there is no good use for a cucumber besides persuading it into the pickle inclination…they taste so awful on their own…lol.  Maybe the problem was I normally plant pickling cucmbers only…this year I decided I’d be too busy to mess with pickles and didn’t plant any.  But somehow I ended up with somebody giving me cucumber plants…the kind I never grow…and wow…those things turned into beasts real quick.  More pickle-makin’ is in my immediate future too, I’m afraid.  I always thought cucumbers tasted like unripe watermelon.  They smell exactly like copperheads.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by cricketcricket.
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Well, there’s already the “Dill Pickle Rag” so I’m at a loss for what to name the diet fiddle tune. Good luck with your cukes.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Lol…true.  I had no dill on hand, though, since I hadn’t planned on pickles this year, didn’t plant any dill, and just don’t keep the stuf around if I ain’t making pickles.  So…well…I think we’re gonna have to come up with another pickle rag, Fred.

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Hey, this probably is on topic, Cricket, what peanut butter do you use? You’ve said you use it, and I believe all store bought peanut butter has sugar in it. Do you make your own?

rodgerrodger
    Participant

The Diet Dill Pickle Two Step?  Fred you mentioned ‘will power’.  I’ve heard it explained by Tim Keller, that the Western way of thought,  is to attack a bad habit by the use of ‘Will Power’.  Stare it down and beat it, strangle it…etc.   But the older mentality is to….’replace’ a bad thing with something better, as opposed to fighting it.  So, when I attacked my Pepsi addiction, instead of driving by the 7/11 (on my way home from town)  with a steely grip on the steering wheel & sweat running down my elbows.  I’d go and buy something that I really liked (always expensive) and healthy for me to replace the Pepsi.   I am now a Pepsi Free person, although I will forever be a Pepsiholic.  And about twice a year I drink one as a memorial to my past, and although I love it, I  marvel as to how I poured such sugary mud down my throat for so long.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Rodger, I like the solution you suggest.  I used this when I was young to beat alcohol (haven’t had a drink in 34 years and counting) and cigarettes (32 years and counting). Right now I’d have to say my biggest problem (other than will power itself) is too big a portion and bread and sugar in general. Every time I give up on sugar and bread I hurt my eardrums listening to the fat hit the floor.

I used to think it was the dryer that was shrinking my clothes but I’ve since learned it’s the refrigerator!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Gunnar, we are so glad we have a Costco near us now…well, realtively near us, close enough that we can get out there pretty easily every couple of weeks.  The Costco housebrand peanut butter we buy (Kirkland) has only organic peanuts and salt.  I have made my own but it’s so much easier to buy it at Costco, where it’s affordable.  We can get grass-fed beef there cheaper than anywhere else, and lots of other higher quality food items there.  If I didn’t have Costco, I couldn’t afford the peanut butter, probably.  Not sure what I’d do…either go without or back to making my own again…lol.  Rodger…I used to be a Coke-aholic and gave it up when we went vegan, except for a few in the hot days of summer.  But now on this here diet I’ve been following I’ve been scared to have anything sweet or even artificially sweetened (other than the approved/ monosaccharide: honey)…out of fear of messing up my efforts.  So…I’ve still got a half a case of Mexican cane sugar Cokes in the cupboard, bought probably 10 years ago from Costco…wondering if I should just give it to someone?

Fred, my husband smoked 4 packs a day…cigarettes were only 20 cents a pack or so where we lived in this state…he tried to quit so many times and when we moved up here we got a gift of a pass to Kings Island amusement park…we hadn’t really been on such crazy rides and thrilling roller coasters, etc., and our daughter was only 10, so we went almost every night after work.  Anyway, he got on this crazy upsidedown roller coaster every night (he and daughter…I didn’t wanna get on that big thing) and it took away his nicotine cravings…weirdly…I mean it was such a rush for him he said it replaced his nicotine…so that summer he got off cigarettes…1989.  He used to drink moonshine or whatever bootleggers had for him down in the southern part of the state, dry county you know…and when moved up here where they sell beer and liquor everywhere, which just made him worse.  Once my insurance added substance abuse treatment (my job was the first and only source of insurance we could ever get ahold of) , he went into the hospital and got off alcohol…that’s been almost twenty years ago, I think, maybe longer, can’t remember for sure by now.  So now it’s just dealing with sugary stuff and starches, which we’ve recently learned are the same as candy…grains are the same as candy when we eat them…they peak out glucose, insulin, and the high insulin you get from grains causes inflammation and general bad stuff, including extra weight and extra hunger, etc.  Not to mention the intestinal misery it can cause.  I wish I’d have learned all of this earlier, but I went the opposite direction, high starch, low fat vegan, which I believe is what destroyed my gut and kicked up the celiac thing…who knows, though?  I think so anyway.    There is a preacher on youtube, an African missionary…well he’s not African, but he goes there a lot…he tells all of this as to what happened to him.  Interesting stuff.  Gunnar maybe you know of him…Dennis Pollock, I think is how he spells it.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Cricket, I read the other day that Costco is putting a real pressure on the big clothing stores like Walmart and TJ Maxx, etc. with the sale of clothing. I think that’s great.

Good for you and Mike with your diets and abstinence. Way to go!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.