Bird call help

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m working on Mockingbird and trying to get some bird calls. I can’t hear the real high pitches anymore (can’t even hear real birds), so I’m trying to get some lower pitched ones. I’m thinking bobwhite and whippoorwill.  Anybody have any tips for playing them????

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Wish I could help , I have hearing aids to be able to hear those tones , but the hearing aids are easy to be over whelmed where there is to much noise , So when I play at get togethers if there’s to much going on I am unable to hear properly !

cricketcricket
    Participant

Mike has hearing aids but like Steve says, the noises he’s supposed to be able to ignore take over and drive him crazy and he still can’t hear the birds and stuff he wants to hear…so…don’t seem to help much.  But…this is a tough thing…are you thinking to do these at a lower pitch?  I think the bird sounds are done with harmonics…so…would you hear the lower pitched harmonics?  Of course you can do woodpeckers, but gotta be careful not to damage your fiddle varnish.  I think you could get the harmonics on the D or A string either one without too much trouble…would you hear those?  If so, you could do the other bird calls too, just lower pitched.  I think it’d probably be easier to get on the D string for the harmonic than A…seems like it’d be clumsier on the A…might hit other strings…don’t know.  Hope you can figure out a way.

Participant

Yes…I can hear the harmonics…at least the ones that are pitched like the string….so the e harmonic on the e string, a on a, etc….

I was thinking of a lower pitched.  Like bobwhite, I’ve sort of fooled with my first finger on the high e note of the a string (mirroring the open e) then sliding up the e string with my pinky…I think that sort of sound like a bobwhite.  Then, sort of doing that pinky in reverse with the whippoorwill.  Yea…don’t wanna do woodpecker to save my fiddle.  I was thinking about peacock (which I know is not a really a bird)…just to be silly….and play the NBC tone.

The real high stuff that John does in his lessons….I can’t hear that at all.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Not much help, Angela, but I sure do like your idea of including the NBC tones. ha ha. 🙂 When I play the tune I just go nuts on the highest part of the E string with little trills, etc., and foolish me I also include the woodpecker.

cricketcricket
    Participant

You could try for owls…maybe?  Besides the NBC peacock…they sorta sound like they’re yelling, “Help me!”  Not sure how you’d go about it.  I think in John’s lesson he had Bobwhite sounds in there…did you hear those?  You could lower the pitch of anything he’s got going in there, but if you can’t hear it to begin with…there were Bobwhite sounds and just a buncha birdie type sounds like a mocking bird would do.  One thing I noticed back a long time ago when I worked on this lesson and made a presonus video…don’t remember when, long time ago.  Anyway, what I noticed was that the A part of the tune went along quite well with the B part…I think I remember combining them somehow and I thought they fit together quite nicely…which has nothing to do with the bird sounds…but I’d try for lower pitched, generic bird calls on the D string if you can hear those pitches.  Anyway…I know you’ll figure something out and play it for us soon!

Participant

Ok…played with a few. What do you all think?  Critique and ideas welcomed..

cricketcricket
    Participant

Sounds pretty good to me…can you hear those ok?  I think the second thing was more melodic-sounding than what the lesson had, maybe.  If I’m remembering it right, I think it was just more little scrambly harmonics up high than anything melodic…but I think it would work. Sounds good though.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by cricketcricket.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

I guess trills would be a better term than scrambly…lol.

Participant

I can hear it under my ear better than on the recording

cricketcricket
    Participant

Angela, if you download the mp3 and then play it back on slow speed on your computer, would you hear it as played on the lesson better?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.